Monday, December 18, 2006

Older

I'm noticing of late that the older I get the harder it is find inspiration outside of myself. It's definitely still possible, but I'm finding it hard to clear my brain of all the daily crap. The same musical performance or movie that would have blown me away 10 years ago now just reminds me of something that I have to do next week. I used to go home from an amazing concert and want to start a painting at 2 in the morning, or write a song about whatever I thought of on the walk home. Now it's hard enough to get to a concert, let alone be inspired by it. So how do you clear your head of clutter when it's always in your face? I have no clear answer. Plus it also seems like every new thing leads to new chores and new complications.

But in the end I've decided that just because it's harder, doesn't mean I'm ready to give up looking. Because when inspiration does hit, it's totally worth it. And the memory of every stupid complication that it took to get me there just ends up fading away.

No comments: